Wednesday 24 October 2012

A dogs life

The highlands have definitely been showing off over the last few days.  Blue skies, sunshine, clear nights, morning temperature inversions...  it's been a beautiful place to live and play.
Berry enjoying Glen Nevis
After a weekend spent catching up with friends in Glasgow, I felt the need for some exercise and healthier living.  I've managed a couple of days bouldering on Heather Hat, repeating some problems and trying a new font 7b which I'm still not quite strong enough for.  I love the movement on it though with some crafty heel hooking, deep lock-offs, egyptians, full on body tension moves and finishes with a big dollop of fear.  If i get it sent it'll be one my favourite boulder problems on this stunning bit of rock.

Berry spotting me on Heather Hat
The rough rock in Glen Nevis isn't always the most friendly on the skin so to not waste the good weather I spent the rest of the day playing on a slackline with Loch Eil in the background until the sun set just beyond the Loch.


Berry spotting me on the slackline
It was back to a bit of work today with the students from Lochaber college.  The aim of the day was to look at technical rope work, so we went up and down Ledge route looking at different belaying techniques, confidence roping and where and when to use the rope.

Descending Ledge route with Lochaber College Students

As I'm about to head off to Spain in a week it is a real privilege to spend the last few days experiencing what makes this part of the world so special.  With snow forecast over the weekend on the higher summits we will again see the area transform and again offer new opportunity to enjoy playing in these wild places.

No comments:

Post a Comment